- Large deciduous shrub with beautiful blue, pink, red or white flowers from July to September.
- Same family as mallows, Lavatera and hollyhocks with similar flowers.
- ‘Oiseau Bleu’ is a beautiful blue and always in flower on my birthday in August!
- ‘Woodbridge’ is deep rose with a dark centre.
- ‘Red Heart’ is white with a red feathered centre.
- ‘William R Smith’ is pure white and ‘Diana’ has single white petals with crinkled edges.
- The Chiffon Series has semi-double flowers and has become popular in recent years.
- It needs full sun and well-drained neutral soil but is not really that fussy.
- It can be grown alone but also paired with spring flowering shrubs such as Weigela or Philadelphus as it flowers after these or perhaps an evergreen.
- One point to note is that it is the last shrub to leaf up in May or June and I’m often asked if it’s died!
Cathie’s Gardening School Services now booking for September.
- Horticultural consultancy teaching you in your own garden.
- Cathie’s Garden Army to transform your garden following a consultancy.
- Professional pruning following a consultancy.
- RHS courses. Please ask for details.
Follow us on Facebook